Wednesday, October 12, 2011

[BW COL]Living with Heart

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

-Steve Jobs
   I most certainly think that his quote is correct. Though some parts of his speech i might disagree. Many of it i do agree. I believe as Jobs did that we should follow our hearts cause someday we will die and while facing that event. Well you shouldn't be doing something your heart tells you not to do in the first place. But really when facing death your heart is whats most valuable, like having a final wish to complete, your heart tells you to do that and what not. In reality though not all things can follow that reasoning as not all things you have the capability to change. Some times i wake up and feel like **** but nothing can be changed about that. Things like those occur all the time and even sometimes when it happens repeatedly nothing can be changed cause nothing can be done about it. Here is where i disagree with Jobs when something is out of your power and you know that it should change the thing is many times even if you change something. Something else bad happens.
  If I where to follow this advice to follow my heart i think many things would change. For one I might not even been in school or be in California or even the U.S. right now i don't know what my dream is but. If i do follow this advice many things would be different. What would i learn following this advice? Many things, many things might be a vague answer but for one I'd probably learn to stop procrastinating also to stop being so lax on myself even if its better than being hard core, well at least sometimes it is. Secondly i think i would drop Spanish 3 but for the time being that isn't an option. Currently i feel that I'm watching the grade sink with not much i can do about to prevent it from doing so. Maybe, and if i follow my heart to get into a good college then i must also follow my of dislikes as 3 years of Spanish is recommended or 3 years of any language in that case. But i chose Spanish so i will stick with it to the end.
  Also and i just thought of this now, that I disagree with Jobs also on the fact that some people arent like him to change or maybe sometimes i feel its more like giving up on something half way through. In many cases i like to do something to the utmost brink of success before quitting on it or leaving or dropping it. I like doing things wholeheartedly except maybe for homework. And also this would be my advice in life,  do things wholeheartedly and follow what you think is right. Do them so that you wont regret it and if it turns out you do, then you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Of course that also applies to starting an action and not finishing it. Don't do it if your not aware of the consequences as if your not lucky it will bite you in the ass. Most importantly though do whats right, do what you think is right and think through anything before you do it. A clear mind is a good mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment